I heard that this last Sunday, Pastor Beau of Emmaus Road Church focused his sermon on these five verses. I also was told that he introduced this text by illustrating God’s calling upon men in the Old Testament, like Abraham, Moses, and Elisha.
I do believe that these verses are crucial for the foundation of vibrant Christian discipleship in Idaho Falls. Here are some questions related to the text.
Observation (questions for the head)
- Where is the Sea of Galilee?
- Who is Simon’s other brother?
- What was the brothers’ work occupations?
- What did Jesus command the brothers to do?
- What was their response?
- Who was the father of James and John?
Interpretation (questions for the head and heart)
- Why was Simon called Peter?
- What gives Jesus the authority to issue such commands?
- What does Jesus have the power to do with a simple fisherman’s life?
Application (questions for the heart and hands)
- Are you convinced in your head that Jesus is worth following?
- In the Lord’s calling in specific times in my life, I have been absolutely overwhelmed. What would give you the encouragement to trust His calling in your life?
- Do you think that Jesus is able to transform and equip you for what He wants you to do?
- What would happen to the city of Idaho Falls if all believers in Jesus became obedient “fishers of men”?
- Could you share a story of how you immediately dropped something that you were doing to pursue a calling by the Lord? What did your family think about this? What did your friends say to you? Did they think that you were crazy?
- A Christian friend made an engraved wooden sign for our family that says these words: “The Woods – God’s will cannot lead us where His grace will not keep us.” Would you agree with that?
- Are you struggling or fighting with what Jesus wants you to do?