I will be out of town tomorrow and the following Sunday. So I will be missing Pastor Beau’s upcoming messages in Matthew. But my heart is in this discipleship, gospel manual in the New Testament. Unfortunately, I will not be able to listen to Pastor Beau’s sermon on Matthew 4:19. Incidentally, Real Life Ministries up in northern Idaho builds a strong, working definition from that verse on what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.
Here is a prelude – some questions related to Matthew 4:12-17. And as you read these questions and engage with the text, go hear Pastor Beau tomorrow as he preaches these truths in Matthew’s Gospel.
Observation (questions for the head)
- Who has been arrested?
- Where is Jesus now living?
- What does that action fulfill in Old Testament prophecy?
- What are the people dwelling in?
- What has dawned?
- What did Jesus preach to all those around him?
Interpretation (questions for the head and heart)
- Why does God allow His servants to be treated so badly?
- Where is Nazareth? Capernaum? the territory of Zebulun and Naphtali?
- Who are Zebulun and Naphtali?
- What is the context of Matthew 4:15-16? (Please read Isaiah 8:1-9:7)
- What does “repent” mean? What is the Greek word?
- What is the “kingdom of heaven”?
- How is the “kingdom of heaven” invading our city?
- Where do you see God’s grace to rebellious people?
Application (questions for the heart and hands)
- Have you ever been arrested because of your Christian beliefs? Do you know of a brother or sister who has been put into prison?
- Is the city of Idaho Falls dwelling in darkness? If you say “yes”, why would you say that?
- Would you have a story to tell of how you lived in the dark? What brought light to your path?
- Don’t you love seeing sunrises? Who is the Light who has dawned in your life, ending the night?
- How does repentance bring about change for you?
- It takes true love and courage to preach repentance to others. Who do you need to talk to this week who is sitting miserably in darkness?
- How can you introduce your friend to Jesus?