Today, at Emmaus Road Church, Pastor Beau Floyd opened up the discussion at our assembly with this question: What was your best and worst meal that you have eaten? He and others shared some humorous stories. Then we jumped into the biblical story, which Beau titled, “God’s Testing, Jesus’ Spiritual Victory“.
Typically, I have heard how the three temptations are placed within the matrix of the (1) lust of the flesh, (2) lust of the eyes, and (3) the pride of life (I John 2:16). But Beau took us back to the great Shema (rightful context) in Deuteronomy 6. He lined up the three temptations with Deuteronomy 6:5: (1) Temptation of the Heart, (2) Temptation of the Soul, and (3) Temptation of the Strength. And where men have failed from Adam to Abraham and even to all Israel, Beau declared Jesus in His temptation as the mighty Victor over Satan. The first Adam at his very best failed in the Garden of Paradise. In contrast, the second Adam in the depths of human weakness conquered the devil in the wilderness. Jesus perfectly fulfilled the command in Deuteronomy 6. He is the new, perfect Adam. And it is only in Him that we too can be victorious.
Observation (Questions for the head)
- Jesus was led by whom? to where? for what purpose?
- Jesus fasted for how many days?
- What was the first temptation by the tempter? How did Jesus answer him?
- What was the second temptation by the devil?
- The devil quoted from where in the Old Testament? How did Jesus respond to that?
- What was the final temptation? What did the devil show Jesus?
- What did Jesus command the devil to do?
- Who ministered to Jesus in verse 11?
- Does Satan stop after only one temptation?
- How many times to do you see these three words, “it is written”?
Interpretation (Questions for the head and heart)
- Has there been anybody else who has fasted as long as Jesus?
- Why did Jesus fast from food?
- How come physical bread alone is not sufficient?
- How important is the written word? Did the devil in any way twist the written word? How did Satan twist God’s Word in the Garden of Eden?
- Does Jesus have a right to the kingdoms of the world? Where does Scripture state this?
- Is memorization of Scripture the key to battling Satan’s temptations?
Application (Questions for the heart and hands)
- What sin tempts you when you are physically hungry?
- What are some practical ways that we can demonstrate living by God’s Word?
- The devil quotes scripture when he tempts. Does that surprise you?
- Have you ever been led astray by someone sharing Bible verses with you in a deceptive way?
- Do you have a story of how you fought Satan with the truth of Scripture? What Scripture has most helped you?
- Have you ever had thoughts from Scripture flash in your mind and yet give into temptation anyways?
- Issues of the Heart – What do you hunger for in the flesh? Is your pride wrapped up in your social status? What threatens you the most? What are you hoping for this week to bring you happiness?
- Which desire in your heart is competing with your need to trust Jesus?
- How has Jesus provided victory over temptation for you today?