Pastor Beau Floyd of Emmaus Road Church in Idaho Falls taught this passage yesterday on Mother’s Day.
My questions related to the text . . .
Observation (questions for the head)
- Who was the king when Jesus was born?
- What did the wise men ask?
- Who was troubled in Jerusalem?
- Where was the Christ prophesied to be born? (Note what the Book of Mormon says in Alma 7:10)
- What command did the king give the wise men?
- When the wise men saw the final resting place of the star, how did they respond? What gifts did they give?
- Did they follow the king’s order? For what reason?
Interpretation (questions for the head and heart)
- What is the significance of the wise men coming from the East? Who is the answer for all those in Eastern religions?
- How could a star point to a King?
- Who is King Herod? How did he come to power?
- The chief priests and scribes quoted what Old Testament passage(s)?
- Was the birthplace of Jesus influential and powerful?
Application (questions for the heart and hands)
- Are you on a path of seeking where is Jesus?
- If you lived in Jerusalem, would you follow the wise men in search of the Christ?
- Do you believe that the child named Jesus should be worshiped by all nations?
- Would you have disobeyed King Herod? If your government were to ask you to betray Jesus, what would you do?
- How can a person use “worship” as a disguise for his own schemes?
- The wise men “rejoiced exceedingly with great joy”. What brings you the most joy? What event do you look forward to this week? What recent spiritual experience made you very happy?
- How are you tempted to be indifferent to that which pertains to Jesus Christ?
- If the wise men gave gold, frankincense, and myrrh to Jesus, what do you plan on giving to Jesus this week as your act of worship?