My questions related to the text . . .
Observation (questions for the head)
- Which other Person of the Trinity is connected with the birth of Jesus?
- What did Joseph want to do with the Mary when he found out she was pregnant?
- What is Joseph’s family lineage?
- What does the name, Jesus, mean?
- The birth of Jesus fulfills what Old Testament prophecy?
- What does the name, Immanuel, mean?
Interpretation (questions for the head and heart)
- What were the cultural parameters of Jewish betrothal?
- What would happen to a betrothed girl caught in sexual immorality?
- Did Mary’s sinful nature pass on to the baby within her womb?
- What do you think of the Catholic doctrine of Immaculate Conception?
- How would you explain the birth of Jesus?
- God became a baby. What are your thoughts on this?
- Did God have to become a human?
- Jesus had a divine nature and a human nature. Have you heard the phrase coined by theologians, hypostatic union?
- Do you consider the virgin birth of Jesus Christ a fundamental doctrine of evangelical Christianity?
- The name of Jesus is rooted in what Old Testament name?
- If Jesus saves believers from their sins, why do believers still sin?
Application (questions for the heart and hands)
- What would you do with your spouse caught in adultery?
- Has an angel from the Lord ever appeared to you in a dream?
- Do you have a relationship with Jesus? Is He saving you from your sins? To what extent, is He saving you?
- Are you in bondage to any dominating human desires? How can Jesus help you?
- What do you fear presently as you pursue God’s will? Do you need His assurance?
- How will you trust and obey God this week, knowing that He is with you? What is He calling you to do?
- What would your life be like today without God with you?
- How do you know that God is with you?