Today at Emmaus Road Church, Pastor Beau Floyd concluded our study in Matthew 4 and focused on “Jesus’ Followers in the Crowd”. He explained from the text: (1) Jesus’ Ministry, (2) Jesus’ Fame, and (3) Jesus’ Followers in the Crowd.
In regards to Jesus’ ministry, Beau highlighted Jesus teaching, proclaiming, and healing. And then he explored how we might partner with Jesus by teaching the Word, preaching the gospel, and bringing healing to a broken world.
Beau noted Jesus’ fame, but then he stated that fame and popularity are not always the best. One of the saddest verses in the Bible is John 6:66 (simply remember 666): “After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.”
In application, are you just a part of the crowd who follows Jesus to get what you want or are you a true disciple of Jesus? Will you follow Jesus or run?
Questions related to the text . . .
Observation (questions for the head)
- What were the three aspects of Jesus’ ministry in Matthew 4:23?
- What are the limits to Jesus’ mastery over different types of diseases?
- What spread about Jesus?
- Who were brought to Jesus? What did he do with all of them?
- Where did the great crowds come from to follow Jesus?
Interpretation (questions for the head and heart)
- What is a synagogue?
- What takes place in the synagogue?
- How is the synagogue different from the church?
- What is the gospel of the kingdom?
- Where is Syria? Decapolis? Judea? Beyond the Jordan?
- What should Christians teach and preach today?
- Where is the healing taking place in Idaho Falls?
Application (questions for the heart and hands)
- Where do you think Jesus would seek to teach during the week? The LDS seminary buildings? Catholic parishes? The downtown gospel rescue mission?
- Where would Jesus be teaching on Sundays in Idaho Falls?
- What does God want you teach your own family? Among brothers and sisters in the church family?
- Do you believe you might have the gift of teaching?
- Do you have the gift of evangelism? Where are the best areas for evangelism in Idaho Falls during the week?
- Who can you share the good news of the kingdom with this week?
- Do you know someone who is sick? How can you help them? Let me insert a note of praise. My dad had epilepsy, and God healed him. And I have been healed of paralysis. Jehovah-Rapha! Our God is the God who heals.
- We know at times that Jesus can be very popular in Idaho Falls. What would it take for you to stop following Jesus? Have you ever left Him in the past?