I am catching up on Pastor Beau Floyd’s sermon series in the book of Matthew. In four recent sermons, he taught Matthew 5:38-6:18. The words of Jesus convict our sinful hearts, draw us to Himself, and transform us by His gospel grace.
- Where does it say in the Old Testament, “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth”?
- Where does it say to “Love your neighbor and hate your enemy?”
- How do hypocrites give their money?
- How does Jesus want us to give to the needy?
- How do hypocrites pray?
- What does the Lord teach us about prayer? What is the Lord’s prayer?
- If one is to fast, Jesus states to do it in what way?
- How would a Jew in Jesus’ day be forced to go a mile?
- What does it mean to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect?
- Does Jesus already assume that you are giving, praying, and fasting? How did 1st century Jews practice these spiritual activities?
- How does the Lord who sees in secret reward those who seek Him in giving, praying, and fasting?
- Upon the recommendation of another ministry family, I watched the movie, The Scarlet and Black. It is a remarkable true story on loving one’s enemies.
- What would God want you to do this week for your enemy?
- How do you seek to be made perfect in love this week?
- Has the Spirit nudged your heart to give to someone in need?
- What are best heart motives for giving to others?
- How do you manifest the grace disciplines of giving, praying, and fasting?
- When is it ok to publicly give, pray, or fast? Does your church family practice some of these activities corporately?
- What would motivate you to fast?