“Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.” – Ephesians 2:19-22, NKJV
- In these four verses, how many English sentences do you see?
- What is the main subject? Verb? Direct object?
- How many words and phrases are separated by commas? How would you diagram this?
- The word “therefore” triggers what in your thinking?
- Who are the strangers?
- The word “but” triggers what in your thinking?
- What is the italic? What does this signify?
- List the names of God? How many times is God mentioned?
- List the descriptions of you?
- Do you see any metaphors?
- What imagery is seen most in these four verses?
- In a simple four-word sentence, how would you summarize this complex sentence?
- How did foreigners fit among the people of God in the Old Testament? How has there been a change from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant?
- Is the household of God to be identified as the Church?
- Does this text necessitate the concept of modern-day apostles?
- Who are the prophets? Are these O.T. prophets or N.T. prophets?
- What is important about a cornerstone?
- Is the temple to be interpreted as physical or spiritual?
- Do we need to build physical temples today? What about anytime in the future?
- Where does God dwell?
- What has the Father done for you?
- What should be your response to Him?
- How does Jesus Christ bring you assurance?
- How are you emphasizing in your life what is foundational? Are you anchored in the fundamentals?
- Are you trusting or resisting Jesus in His fitting you with others?
- Can you justify before God a lone-ranger Christianity?
- In what specific ways, is God laying upon your heart to serve together with others?
- Currently, how are you glorifying God together with others?
- Are you growing in holiness?
- What can you offer up as a prayer to the Lord to change in you in light of His Word spoken to you tonight?