One Nation (Idaho Falls Library Call Number – 306.0973 CARSON)
“What We Can All Do To Save America’s Future”
Publisher – Sentinel: New York, New York, 2014
Author – Ben Carson
Is this guy running for president or not?
At the beginning of his book, Carson writes, “I have been offered support from around the country and tremendous financial resources if I decide to run for national office. But I have not felt called to run. I suspect that there are many others who think logically and are interested in a political future who might be better candidates than myself. Nevertheless, if I felt called by God to officially enter the world of politics, I certainly would not hesitate to do so.”
And then again at the end of his book, Carson concludes, “We must exercise our duty as responsible and informed citizens and actively shape the nation we desire by investing time, resources, and energy into choosing appropriate leaders who share our vision. In some cases, we may even need to offer ourselves as candidates for public office.”
What do you think? Will we soon see a “Carson for President 2016” banner in the air?
I liked reading his book. He shares excerpts of his life story that I once watched in the television movie, Gifted Hands. But more than just talking about his childhood anger, his mother’s grit, and the newfound freedom gained from reading books, he shares many insights on what he believes about the hot issues of the day. He is a creationist. He names the College of the Ozarks in Branson, Missouri as what a good education looks like. He speaks with common sense, does not denigrate the job experience gained even in a minimum wage, and openly looks to the Bible for wisdom. Especially from the book of Proverbs. Bullseye.
So in my review of this book, I find it edifying to list for you his chapter headings with Proverbs that he includes in the book.
- Saving our Future – “Godliness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.” Proverbs 14:34
- Political Correctness – “Those who love to talk will experience the consequences, for the tongue can kill or nourish life.” Proverbs 18:21
- Elitism – “Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.” Proverbs 16:18
- Ignorance and Forgetfulness – “Throw out the mocker, and fighting, quarrels, and insults will disappear. Anyone who loves a pure heart and gracious speech is the king’s friends. The Lord preserves knowledge, but he ruins the plans of the deceitful. ” Proverbs 22:10-12
- Bigotry – “It is sin to despise one’s neighbors; blessed are those who help the poor.” Proverbs 14:21
- No Winners in Political Fighting – “A troublemaker plants seeds of strife: gossip separates the best of friends.” Proverbs 16:28
- Enslaving Our Children–Don’t Sell The Future – “Good people leave an inheritance to their grandchildren, but the sinner’s wealth passes to the godly.” Proverbs 13:22
- Pushing Back – “If you fail under pressure your strength is not very great. Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death: don’t stand back and let them die. Don’t try to avoid responsibility by saying you didn’t know about it. For God knows all hearts, and He sees you. He keeps watch over your soul, and He knows you knew! And He will judge all people according to what they have done.” Proverbs 24:10-12
- Respectful Disagreement – “So discuss the matter with them [your neighbors] privately. Don’t tell anyone else, or others may accuse you of gossip. Then you will never regain your good reputation.” Proverbs 25:9-10
- The Art of Compromise – “Without wise leadership, a nation falls; with many counselors, there is safety.” Proverbs 11:14
- Becoming Informed – “Only simpletons believe everything they are told! The prudent carefully consider their steps.” Proverbs 14:15
- Wisdom and Knowledge – “How much better to get wisdom than gold, and understanding than silver!” Proverbs 16:16
- My Brother’s Keeper – “Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but those who help the poor honor Him” Proverbs 14:31
- Without a Vision – “When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is happy.” Proverbs 29:18
- Role Models – “Do not carouse with drunkards and gluttons, for they are on their way to poverty. Too much sleep clothes a person with rags. Listen to your father, who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother’s experience when she is old.” Proverbs 23:20-22
- The Origin of Morality – “Those who follow the right path fear the Lord; those who take the wrong path despise Him.” Proverbs 14:2
- Take Courage – “Those who fear the Lord are secure; He will be a place of refuge for their children.” Proverbs 14:26
Consider Carson’s challenge. Poke your nose in the book of Proverbs.