I would like to report that there has not been one positive case of coronavirus among any at Providence Downtown Church, Shepherd of the Falls Lutheran Church, and the Idaho Falls Rescue Mission. Thank you, God, for your mercies.
Because of Idaho’s response to COVID-19, it has been one of the most unique months of ministry that I have ever experienced, filled with phone calls, emails, zoom meetings, and drive-in church services.
Here are the two biggest impacts for me this month: (1) the need to pray, and (2) the death of my ideas for large Christian gatherings in 2020.
Here are some of the highlights from April:
- April 5: Palm Sunday – I emailed my sermon to brothers and sisters and watched several online church services.
- April 8: Good chat with Pastor Russell Martin (Harvestview Baptist Church – Rexburg) at the downtown Idaho Falls Rescue Mission; evening Pesach
- April 9: Maundy Thursday – I watched several online church services.
- April 10: Good Friday – I participated in the First Evangelical Lutheran Church online service with seven other preachers by recording my thoughts on the last word of Jesus on the cross.
- April 12: Resurrection Sunday – I joined Pastor Beau Floyd (Emmaus Road Church) on top of the Pancheri Bridge overlooking Interstate 15 for Sunrise Facebook live. I gathered with Pastor Jose Favela (Iglesia Centro Evangelistico) to pray in a Drive-In church service in the parking lot of Shopko on 17th street. In the afternoon, I lead Bible study and prayer at the Idaho Falls Rescue Mission women’s shelter.
- April 14: Eastern Idaho Pastors Coalition (EIPC) Prayer meeting through Zoom (6 ministers)
- April 19: I preached in the morning Falls Baptist Church Drive-In service. I collected written prayers by city pastors and brothers and posted them on social media.
- April 21: Vision 2020 Zoom meeting (5 people)
- April 23: Vision 2020 Zoom leadership meeting (12 people)
Would you like to contribute financially on a monthly basis to my missionary work? Here are a couple of ways: (1) Send the contribution to Emmaus Road Church and specifically mark it as “missionary fund for Todd Wood”, or (2) You are welcome to give directly to me. Thank you so much!
On the home front:
Because of the Governor’s order, my family of six has been under a stay-at-home order for the past five weeks. It has been quite an adventure. I have lost track of how many times we have emptied all the food out of the fridge. Pray for our kids. My oldest son finishes his ISU classes on Wednesday, May 6. Likewise, my oldest daughter completes all her college classes at BJU on the same day and graduates on May 8. Our youngest daughter is done with her spring semester with the University of Idaho on May 15. And our youngest boy graduates from Skyline High School on May 27.
- Pray as Providence Downtown Church will resume their church services on May 2.
- Please pray for Shepherd of the Falls Lutheran Church as they reopen for public worship gatherings on Mother’s Day, May 10.
- Pray for spiritual awakening and revival.
My four current ministry objectives:
- Be a servant missionary-pastor with Providence Downtown Church that specifically ministers to the incarcerated, the addicted, the homeless, and impoverished. It is a church ministering and bringing mercy to those in the margins.
- Minister as a pastor with the Idaho Falls Rescue Mission.
- Pulpit supply and pastoral encouragement to the Shepherd of the Falls Lutheran Church family in American Falls.
- Be a blessing to the pastors in Idaho Falls and throughout the region through the Eastern Idaho Pastors Coalition (EIPC).
May Jesus reign as King!
roots by the river,
Todd Wood (downtown missionary)